Tuesday 3 November 2015

Too much consensus!


Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of blogs and trying to figure out what direction mine should go in. From what I see you are supposed to find something you are an expert in. I’m paraphrasing the general consensus of what I have read:
“As an author, everyone says not to focus only on writing (because you want readers to follow your blog and not just other writers) so pick a subject and write about it regularly. This should be something that you are passionate about and have an expertise in. Oh and it should somehow relate to what you are writing, you want to mention your writing but not be a constant stream of ‘BUY ME!” posts.”

Pause.

This is about where I get stuck. What am I an expert in? I have lots of interests, but somehow I can’t see writing a post weekly about my addiction to reality tv shows. I know lots of people write those, and that’s great but I do think it would get boring and not relate at all to my writing. Okay next interest is my kids and family. I’m passionate about it, check. I have an expertise in it, check. Again, could get pretty boring for those who don’t know us and family / teenage drama / kids definitely doesn’t relate to my writing. Hmm. I like crafts, I love reading (I don’t read as much as I would like to when I am writing in order to focus and make sure that my own ideas are coming through). I like eating out (although I have the palate of a ten year old – pretty boring to write about). I like special effects makeup, again not what I write about and I am in no way an expert. I like poetry and have debated posting some of my stuff (it’s a writer thing to do.) I’ve stopped myself, because the style of poetry I tend to write is very different from the style of novels that I write. I tend towards very dark and death filled poems, not exactly the happy ending-cheery-humorous style that my novels are.

And here is where I stay. I can’t find a single idea that seems to fit me, my style of writing and my current level of expertise. No closer to a resolution, to a fit that feels right for me.

I guess what I will do is just continue on, writing an eclectic mix of everything…hey wait maybe that is me. Eclectic. Off the wall, different from the norm, not fitting in the molds of what others have suggested is the ‘right’ way to do it. I’ll just keep being me, writing what comes into my head and sharing with you. Sometimes you might see a post about my latest work, sometimes it might be about the latest episode of The Walking Dead, or a craft I tried, or how perplexed I am by my kids, who knows? It adds a bit of excitement right? Never quite knowing what to expect.

Yep, I think that’s what I’ll do, continue forging on just being me and blogging what comes into my head at any given time. Watch out world this could get scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment